about this blog:

This blog is one that possesses no coherent theme but serves as the plate for my food for thought. And the most wonderful thing about that metaphor is that I do not have to do dishes. I hate dishes...

Monday, December 17, 2007

The Mitchell Report




Ok lemme say first that baseball is my first love. When cable was still a new technology, my clock radio was my best friend. On boring weekdays i would do my homework listen to 660 WFAN, with the late great Bob Murphy and Gary Cohen calling the games. I remember when Al Leiter would grunt his way through games throwing 175 pitches only getting through 6 innings.
Rey Ordonez sliding to backhand a one hopper in the hole and popping up and throwing the runner out. Or the Bob Murphy calling Piazza's home run... "it may go... it's GONE!!"... then giving us the happy recap.
But of Course Steroids has muddled all of this. You're gonna tell me my childhood hero Piazza might have taken steroids? NO way... not Piazza... but how do we know?
Now getting to the Mitchell Report, many pundits have said it was a success.
Really?
So they gave us names of people who allegedly have taken stories. Most of the names have not surprised anyone. Its he said, she said. Arent we supposed to move foward? Clean up the game? But no, Senator Mitchell has to go piss off the Player's Association, with name dropping with NO SIGNIFICANT EVIDENCE. None whatsoever, no blood test, no urine samples, nothing. Just the word of an ex-trainer. So whats the chances of the player's union agreeing to stiffer drug testing? The answer is none. Although I detest Clemens and everything he stands for what did this prove? He took steroids. He cheated. OK. Nolan Ryan may have cheated. Walter Johnson may have cheated. So what? I want a clean game from NOW ON. I don't care about the past. I really don't. Clean up the game for the future. Nobody is doing that. Giving us 90 names out of the possible 5,000 players who have passed through the game since the "steroid era"... thats only .018%....018%?!?!?!?! give me a freakin break Senator Mitchell.. you spent 28 million dollars to tell us Clemens and Tejada did 'roids? Get a stiff drug program in place Mr. Selig... so when Arod hits home run number 763 we wont need an asterisk... So when 12 year old kids argue whose better... Ryan Howard or Prince Fielder, they wont have to mention steroids... so when David Ortiz gives his Hall of Fame speech he can be inducted like the true hero he is on AND off the field... So true good guys like Andy Pettite wont make a bone head decisions that ruin their reputations... Please Mr. Selig... please...

No comments: